Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 50 - Myanmar (Burma): More pagodas & Boat Trip to Hpa'an

Before I left Mawlymine, I woke up at 5:45am to watch the sunrise at Kyaikthanlan pagoda. It was peaceful with the sounds of chanting and prayers from the people in the temple.
I then found the local exercisers and ran along what seemed like 'Pagoda Row' with the multiple pagodas along the strip. And I joined the local men doing sit ups on park benches near a viewpoint.
The ferry from Mawlamyine to Hpa'an was a private 3hr tourist boat that passed farm villages and pagoda speckled mountains.


When we arrived in Hpa'an, we explored the market, wandering by vendors selling flowers, 
palm sugar, fresh fish & meat, 
fried bread, sticky rice, colorful fruit and more! 

We also sat by some kids playing an intense game of marbles in the middle of the market.
My new travel buddies, Melissa and Cassie, let me shack up in their room, squeezing a 3rd mattress on the floor between their beds. Slumber party!

NEXT STOP: Hike up Mt. Zwegabin

No comments:

Post a Comment