Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 71-72 - Nepal: I did it!! Hike up to Everest Basecamp (5364 meters) and Kala Patthar (5550 meters)

I did it!!!

Basecamp (5364 meters)
We walked along a relatively flat path with a view of the camp in the near distance, 

but I think the lack of hiking up a peak made it somewhat anticlimactic. With that said, the large glacier near the camp was pretty cool and the scenery was magnificent. We also were early in the season so only a few people were there!




Kala Patthar (5550 meters)
(Picture to come)

Now Kalapathar, with a view of Mt Everest was far from anticlimactic. Here's what I wrote upon returning from the hike.

I just went up Kala Patthar and I'm still on a high. It was 1 hour and 40 minutes of switchback uphill to 5550 meters. My camelback froze from the cold. I broke the hike into pieces with breaks along the way and music to push me through. When we got to the top, there were less than 30 people and as soon as I caught my breath, I saw the clear view of Mt. Everest to the left of me with the valley below. Once the sun rose behind the mountain, the sky lit up, blinding the view of Mt Everest, but brightening the valley below.

I soaked up the view and the feeling of accomplishment. Maybe it was the altitude's effect of lack of oxygen to the brain or perhaps I was just proud of making it to where I dreamed about going for years, but I became flooded with emotion & tears of joy...getting sentimental in my old age.

I felt proud, elated and awestruck by the surroundings. It was one of those I wish I could bottle up the moment feelings. 

NEXT STOP: Cross cho la mountain pass to get to the Gokyo glacier lakes

No comments:

Post a Comment